TIPS FOR THE RIGHT MEAT STORAGE
Meat is one source of animal protein which is very important for the human body. However, if we do not know how to store meat properly and correctly, the protein in it will be easily damaged or lost. The treatment process at the time of cutting such as skinning, removing offal, slicing meat can cause bacteria to be contaminated on the surface of the meat.
Then, Can Meat Be Washed?
Washing meat, especially beef, is not recommended as many consumers think, by washing meat, they get rid of bacteria. But the truth is that most bacteria on meat stick very closely when mixed with contaminated water, so they can’t be released, regardless of how and how often you wash them. The washing done on the meat is then left to be placed in the open air, and not cooked immediately can cause an increase in the number of germs, because the water mixed with the meat is an excellent medium for germs to multiply. In addition, meat that has been washed will contain a lot of water and storing juicy meat will make it prone to freezer burn (ice crystals are formed).
Come on, know more about TIPS How to store meat in the refrigerator/freezer:
- The temperature of the refrigerator plays the most important role for meat storage. Set the temperature when the meat is put in the refrigerator or freezer, beef stored at -12°C can last for 4 months, if stored at -18°C can last for 6 months, if stored at – 23°C can lasts for 12 months, and if stored at -28°C can last for more than 12 months. .
- Tips for a good freezing process for meat is to cut the meat into smaller sizes first, then cover the meat with plastic wrap tightly, cutting the meat can reduce the size so that the freezing process can take place faster and reduce the formation of crystals ice on meat.
- Make sure that the meat is not mixed with other types of meat, besides avoiding mixing odors, it also minimizes the amount of germ contamination that contaminates.
- Separate and store the meat in a suitable place for cooking portions. Storage per cooking portion makes it easier to do thawing (thawing frozen meat), because it only removes the meat according to the cooked portion and avoids repeated thawing and freezing, thereby causing the water-soluble components to be lost. Safe thawing is to store it in the chiller or in the refrigerator
- Give a code and storage date, this is done to avoid mixing with new meat or reminding the storage date. So the FIFO (First in Frst out) system can be implemented.< /li>
Saraswati, Dian. 2015. The Effect of Beef Storage On
Refrigerator Against Total Bacterial Plate Number (ALT) And
The presence of Echerishia coli bacteria. Journal of Entropy Vol.10 No.1
Soeparno. 1998. Meat Science and Technology, Gadjah Mada University
Press. Yogyakarta. In the Scientific work of I Nyoman Sumerta Miwada,
Suwarna. 2019. Proper Storage of Meat. Accessed at
www.Pertanian.go.id on 10/07/2020
PT. Magfood Food Innovation
Jl. Duren Tiga Raya No.46 South Jakarta
Telephone : +6221-791 93162 (Ext 101) – +6221 791 95 134, Fax : +6221-791 95364,
WA : 0811-1397-161 / 0855-8800-780